Wednesday 2 December 2015

Favourite Worry

Tales from the Thames Delta, in my opinion, is one of the most complete albums ever made. It ticks so many boxes, blending parts of funk and soul with pop and indie in a brilliant cacophony of genre defying and catchy music, every song on the album, for me, could have been a hit. Not only that, the album held up live as well, I’d put The Milk up there with some of the best live acts I’ve ever seen.
So 3 years on, they’re faced with the task of following this up and despite my love for the first album, I and many others always felt that the album didn’t reflect the bands true demeanour. You always had the feeling that they were really a soul band, not a blend of everything, never more obvious in the first album than in ‘Lay The Pain On Me’ the only song on the album that wasn’t full pelt, you felt the band reigned it back and where true to their roots. So this is what I’ve been hoping for from the new album, I really have not been disappointed.
The pop hooks and indie style are still there in a lot of the songs on ‘Favourite Worry’ but they take a back seat and the driving force comes from the funk and soul deep routed in the band. But despite this the band have not lost the ability to right a catchy tune, I constantly find myself belting out a terrible rendition of ‘Don’t Give Up The Night’ in the shower, but not only that there a lot more ‘quiet’ songs on the album. You feel like The Milk have found a comfortable balance in the music they’ve produced in the album and are finally producing the music that is a lot more like what the band is about.
The result is a fantastic album and it will very quickly be one of my favourites: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment