Thursday 3 December 2015

A Fantastic Gig and a Pet Hate

Having moved to Cardiff 3 months, I've spent a lot of that 3 months looking for where I'm going to get my fix for live music, and I think I've finally found it.
Since coming to Cardiff, Tuesday was my 3rd visit to Clwb Ifor Bach. Having already been treated to Nothing But Thieves at the start of November and Kagoule last week, I already knew what a fantastic gig venue it was. However on Tuesday I went to see The Wytches supportes by TRAAMS and Black Honey and it was honestly one of my favourite gigs of the year.
Black honey - first of all - were brilliant, a fantastic stage presence and something a bit different to start of the night. Having listened to a couple of their songs on youtube before heading to the gig I was suprised how loud they were. A lot of their studio work sounds a lot more chilled out than live because as a ive band they were angry, full of energy and very loud. Any chance you get to see this band I would definitely recommend it!
TRAAMS, compared to Black Honey seemed a bit uninteresting - monotonous post punk - however they were good fun and shouted there way through a killer set which gave the crowd some more energy (not that it was needed).
Then came The Wytches, and the excitement soon bubbled over into the break out of a mosh pit,  and now we come back to why I love this venue, with an atmosphere this electric for a lesser known band in a small intimate crowd it was an incredible gig. For me this is what live music means, not some The Vaccines on some arena tour (incidently in Cardiff the same night) but a small sweaty venue with 2 or 3 hundred people all really into a tiny band no one else has ever heard off, because that where music really comes alive.
This brings me to the point of this article really, yes the bands were fantastic and please listen to them it was an incrdible gig, but unfortunately the tone is a saddened one. It very much upsets me that people my age don't go to gigs (I'm a student) unless they know the band inside out, have friends to go with and it's in a big venue Some of the best, most incredible gigs I've been to (like this one), I've been to on my own in a tiny venue and not known the bands that well and unfortunately as less and less young people go to gigs, it doesnt just hurt the venues but it hurts the up and coming bands as well because how do you think they get famous? It's a dire situation we face that the future of music could be solely made up of X Factor winners and manufactured, 'safe' pop. The small bands are the ones pushing the boundaries, the ones that are different and more than aything what we want the future of music to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment